Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Paper vs. Device

One of the "hottest" discussions of hardcore readers is whether the good old-fashioned book is best or if the experience of reading on an iPad, tablet, phone or e-reader trumps all.  I have no preference.  Personally, I love looking on the shelves of my library for a book to read. I like to pick it up, read a few pages, check out the cover.  When a box of new books arrives at the library, the book-geek in me loves just pulling new book after new book out of the box.  But...but...truthfully, nothing is better than being able to have books quite literally at my fingertips if I choose to read them.  Reading a book series takes on a whole new meaning when I can simply just tap a few spots on the screen, and the book magically appears. 

When one asks those of us who remember electronic typewriters as the source for typing papers instead of devices that will change our voice to text, the consensus seems to be that traditional books are best.  There is something appealing about flipping pages, and marking spots with a bookmark or sticky and sitting that book on a bedside table for later that just feels right.  Reading a beat up paperback on the beach seems to be part of the tradition. Dog-eared corners, splitting spines and warped pages of a book that has been read over and over are simply battle scars showing its popularity with readers.  Some of the books in my library are so well-read that I need to buy new (or several new) copies so that it can continue to circulate into the hands of readers.  It's worth it to me to spend a few extra dollars if it means kids will read.  

I'll be the first to admit that I've read multiple books on Kindles, tablets and iPads...and liked it.  With the latest apps available from Amazon, Barnes and Noble and iTunes,  and the ease of buying and borrowing books, it doesn't take long to amass a well-stocked virtual library of favorites. I took a Kindle on a vacation, packed with multiple books I wanted to read and it was a dream.  I ran out of power before I ran out of reading material and I was able to take a dozen or more books and didn't have to stuff my carry on bag to do it :)  Admittedly, ebooks make me a little nervous. They have the potential to make my job as a librarian change tremendously.  Why the thought of having a "virtual" job where I could lead kids to books while chillin' in my pj's seems delightful, it makes my heart hurt to imagine the time when kids will say "Remember when books had paper pages in them?" 

For now, I'll sit back and be happy that both "traditional" and e-books continue to coexist happily in my library and that students haven't made the huge shift to yet one more technological movement that stands to change everything. 

Happy Reading...

 

No comments:

Post a Comment