Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Summer Reading? Heck Yes!


 

So it seems that the end of the year hectic schedule has caused me to lapse in my entries to my blog...My goal was to do one a month, but somehow April came and went.  Regardless, I won't lie when I say that I'm just a little bit excited for it to be the end of the year.  Knowing that summer is just around the corner, the geeky librarian in me has already started scanning the shelves in the library for the books I want to grab to take home and read this summer. 

Having just polished off Papertowns and Life As We Knew It, I'm in the rhythm to just keep reading.  I've been wanting to read John Green's entire collection including Looking for Alaska.  All of Green's books seem to be super popular, and the kids repeatedly check them out.  Of course The Fault in our Stars has its movie version coming out in June, so I'll treat myself to that movie since I managed to sob my way through the novel. In addition, I also want to tackle Susan Pfeffer's series which starts with Life As We Knew It - This semi-apocalyptic novel hit a bit home for me because it just isn't far fetched enough for my liking.  But there is a companion novel to the book and then a sequel to the two first novels.  That alone will get me started for summer.

I'm excited for the kids to do their summer reading this year - there are some really great, new, kid fun books out there for their choosing. But if that's not enough to fulfill their needs for summer, I have an entire page on my Library Media Center website that gives ideas, award winners and even staff picks :) http://lib.ojrsd.com/OJRHSSummerReading. I for one plan on taking home a big bag of books I've been dying to read all year!  I hope the students of OJR take the time to find a good book (or two or three or...) and enjoy reading this summer! 

No comments:

Post a Comment